Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Blessings

The title just says it all...  This is my very favorite topic!  I like to think of myself as a Positive Polly.  The girl who sees the bright side of everything, is resilient, and handles adversity well.  A glass half full kinda gal, if you will.  Every time I really stop and think about all I've been blessed with, I'm just really floored.  At times, I feel so undeserving.  I have a great life, I've never wanted for a thing.  The least I can do is to try to be a blessing in return.

So, I thought it might be sort of fun to talk about blessings!  I'm a firm believer that blessings come in many forms.  One of my favorite things to do is to consider all of the blessings in my life that may not seem glaringly obvious.  For instance, a job, food in our bellies, a roof over our head, and supportive family are all sort of no-brainer blessings.  But what about the uncommon?!  And what are uncommon ways in which we can bless others?!  Here are a few...

  • "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."  We've all heard the saying, right?!  I'm blessed by other people who look to me as an example.  I strive to exemplify Christ through my life, and I'm flattered when others look up to me.  Sure, we've all been annoyed by that girl who bought the same clothes we just bought the day after we wore them for the first time or that person who copies our ideas.  BUT, when it's all said and done, people who mimic your behaviors are paying you the truest form of compliment.  Next time this happens to you, try not to be annoyed but to be blessed instead.  How can you be a blessing to that person in return?!  Encourage them to be unique.  By your actions, encourage them to be a Christ-like example and to be a person that others look up to.  Consider their imitation as flattery and strive to continue to be someone that other people strive to be like.  Isn't it kind of a neat feeling to think that you're so cool that other people would kill to be just like you?!  {I kid, I kid}
  • I'd truly hate to consider what this world would be like if music didn't exist.  I listen to music almost constantly and there is nothing more uplifting than being blessed by a song.  Next time you hear a new song and the lyrics intrigue you, stop and listen.  Let it bless you.  Then, when the song is finished, Google the lyrics.  I can't even begin to tell you how many of my favorite songs were moved by favorite status because I stopped and listened to the words.  Here are a few of my very favorites right now.
 
  • If I've said it once on this blog in the past 2 weeks. I've said it a thousand times...  I'm truly blessed by this fall season!  Football, bonfires, pumpkins, mums, hiking, candy corn...  What's not to love?!  We should be blessed by every season in our lives - not just the physical summer/fall/winter/spring seasons, but the actual seasons we are going through in life.  Contrary to popular belief, being single is a blessing.  Embrace it.  If it seems hard for you to embrace, just remember this - You have the REST of your life to let someone steal your covers, leave the toilet seat up, drink milk straight from the jug, leave dirty socks on the bedroom floor, and maintain a messy closet.  Marriage doesn't sound so fun when you look at it that way, huh gals?!  Let the single season of your life be a blessing to you - use this time to grow and develop yourself as a person.  Cherish the Friday nights spent at home alone.  Learn more about yourself.  Define what you really want out of life.  In the same since, be blessed by the engaged, newly married, new parents, parents of college kids, and every other season of your life.  One of my very favorite Bible verses is Ecclesiastes 3:1 - "There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens."  Oh, how true!  Live more in the moment and look at your life's current state as a blessing.  Remember that right now, in this moment, you are exactly where God intended for you to be.  Refreshing, isn't it?!
  • Being a blessing to others is quite possibly the most fool-proof way to bless ourselves.  Sounds too easy, right?!  Well, it really is.  Nothing on earth will make you feel better about yourself than helping other people.  As the holidays approach every year, I'm especially reminded how many people in the world absolutely need to be the receiver of a blessing or two.  This time of year, there are plenty of ways to serve!  Call a local soup kitchen and volunteer to serve Thanksgiving dinner.  Donate your time to a program who provides Christmas gifts to children who would otherwise go without - they always need help sorting & wrapping!  Spend some time at a nursing home painting the sweet ladies' nails or singing Christmas carols.  If time's not on your side, then pick an angel or two off of your local Angel Tree.  Buy canned goods to take to your neighborhood children's shelter.  There are plenty of ways to help, and they don't have to cost you much time or money.  I'm a firm believer in volunteer service.  The Lord truly blesses those who bless His children!
  • Finding blessings in life's simple pleasures is certainly something worth striving for.  When is the last time you took an evening walk to wind down after a long day's work?!  I have loved going home at lunch time this week to spend some time with Henley and Harlow.  They're at the age where they can be let off of their leashes without playing the "run from mama" game, and this weather is just absolutely perfect for them to spend some time running around our little neighborhood.  I decided that, when I've got some free time over the next few weeks, we are going to be spending more time outside as a little family!  How about watching the sun set or rise?!  There's just nothing like waking up early, brewing some coffee, wrapping up in a blanket, and sitting outside to watch the sun come up for the day.  If you don't enjoy either of those, how about spending time reading that book or watching that movie that you've had laying around for awhile?  Or baking cookies and taking them to a neighbor or your work friends?  There are plenty of simple ways to enjoy life.  If it makes you or someone else smile, it's totally worth it!
  • Something else I'm constantly striving for is being more intentional.  Making sure I'm tuned-in on the moments that matter, but also being intentional when it comes to finding "me" time.  As a busy gal, this is a struggle for me!  But, when I'm living in the moment or taking time for myself to unwind, I am completely and totally blessed.  Downtime is a blessing, and relaxation and rest allow us more energy to bless others.  That's what it's all about, right?!  We were put on this earth to make a difference.  It's hard to do that when you're not going about it with an attitude of intention.  Next time you find yourself distracted, tune-in and then take some time out for yourself to unwind.  You'll be thankful you did!

What are your favorite uncommon blessings or ways in which you enjoy blessing others?!  We all have gifts and strengths, and when we use those to make an impact it's truly special! 

Have a wonderful day and be blessed! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment