Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October. First. What the HECK?!

Hey there, blog land!

Can you hardly believe it's October 1st?!  I just really can't.  While October isn't my very favorite month, I think it's my third favorite...  Preceded by November and December. 

I have a November birthday, so naturally I'm just pretty much in love with that month all together.  Between a birthday week {yes, birthdays in my world are celebrated for an entire week} and Thanksgiving, I just can't get enough.  If you know me in real life, you know I eat.  A.  LOT.  So I obviously love Thanksgiving.  In fact, if you were my best friend {shout out to Caitlin} you'd hate me for it and rant and rave about how it just isn't fair that I eat like a pig and manage to stay somewhat thin.  The wonders of CrossFit, people...  Seriously life changing and the reason I eat like a high school football player and can still fit into my skinny jeans.  It's miraculous, really.

December can be easily classified as my very most favorite month in the whole wide world.  I pretty much just spend the entire month in a Christmas coma.  I'm THAT girl.  I decorate my house for Christmas prior to Thanksgiving.  I find it acceptable to begin listening to Christmas music, like, NOW.  I bake five zillion Christmas cookies and desserts.  My dogs wear Christmas outfits that may or may not make them resemble elves.  I send out corny Christmas cards.  I put my whole heart and soul into Christmas shopping.  In fact, if I buy a Christmas gift too early, I've been known to give it too early...  And then promptly go out and buy a replacement.  I seriously just cannot contain the excitement.  Christmas and the month of December, all wrapped into one perfect package, just does something to my soul that simply cannot be described in one word...  Or even ten.

But, that's still a few months away....  I digress.

OCTOBER IS HERE!  Seriously just cannot believe it.  I woke up this morning and I think fall was running through my veins.  I took the puppies to potty and documented that it definitely wasn't as chilly outside as I'd hoped it'd be, but this weather will suffice for now.  I'm a believer that there should be a magical button contained on earth that can make glorious things happen.  Like, when it's October 1st the button is pushed and magically the whole world experiences falling leaves and perfect, chilly weather.  The same button could be pushed to release snow on Christmas Day.  Unfortunately, no such button exists.

This is how I immediately choose to celebrate the first day of the great month of October. If I had the ability to mail all of my readers a little gift, it'd be this outfit. In its entirety. Serious fall love! Cheetah print cardi, chambray, oxblood ankle pants, Phillip Lim for Target bag, and J. Crew bow flats. Each and every one of you needs an outfit either identical or darn close to this one. Otherwise, your closet just cannot be complete. I'm slightly totally obsessed with everything cheetah print. I keep reading all over the fashion blogger world how "cheetah print is a neutral." So. Right. If you have none, what the heck are you thinking?! Run out immediately and get at least three cheetah print pieces.  Or, if you're like me, at least thirty...  Oops.  The devil's in the details!


This morning I brewed my usual hazelnut coffee with my pumpkin spice creamer, all in my most favorite Lily Pulitzer tumbler so that I'm braces compliant in drinking my coffee through a straw.  Then, I had dessert for breakfast.  You heard me.  Pumpkin dessert.  For breakfast.  Glory hallelujah!  It's October 1st and I do what I want.  I promise your life will just not be complete until you've made this pumpkin dish.  Let's just refer to it from now on as "Thanksgiving in a Bar" - Partially because that's exactly how I'd describe it, and secondly because the kid in me just realized after typing that out how funny of a name it truly is.  The snickerdoodle crust and the pumpkin pie consistency...  OH.  EM.  GEE.  Just keep reading.


I felt like I had an excuse to bake such a dessert this weekend because SUNDAY WAS HENLEY AND HARLOW'S 1ST BIRTHDAY!  Oh, these precious babies.  If you're new here, please meet Henley Jude and Harlow Jane.  They pretty much run my household.  We could really use some work on that whole "master" concept.  Oh, well!  I was wrapping up with last week's near-death illness {okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration} by recuperating on the couch for about 95% of the weekend, so we didn't have any big birthday celebrations.  We, instead, celebrated with lots of snuggles!  Our favorite.


& the snuggle queen herself, Miss Harlow Jane, just keepin' mama's tootsies warm last night!

Back to desserts....  I give you:

"Thanksgiving in a Bar"

Ingredients:
  • 1 box of spice cake mix
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 stick of butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 can of pure pumpkin (I highly recommend Libby's!  Just make sure you get pure pumpkin.)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Grease a baking dish with Pam.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine cake mix, vegetable oil, and 2 eggs.
  4. Spread the mixture across the bottom of your pan, distributing evenly.
  5. In the same mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
  6. Add the remaining 2 eggs, vanilla, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and flour.  Use your electric mixer and combine well.
  7. Add pumpkin and combine well.
  8. Spread the pumpkiny/sugary/buttery/cinnamony mixture on top of your cake mix layer in the pan.
  9. Bake 38 minutes.  Before slicing, let cool for at least one hour.
  10. Store in the fridge.

If you're having company over, I highly suggest this dessert!  Not only will it be a crowd pleaser, but baking this baby in the oven makes your house smell like all things fall.  My mom cooked me dinner last night for our weekly RHONJ watch party, so I took her a few slices.  She's a master chef, and she was impressed!  I was even more impressed with myself because it was delicious AND super easy ;)  For an adaptation of this and other great recipes, head on over to Mix and Match Mama.  I have made several of her recipes and have loved every single one! 

Until next time, have a happy October 1st! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment