Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday

It's been a few weeks...  Let's get right too it, shall we?


  1. I'm thankful for slow, fall nights.  When I got home from work yesterday evening, I realized I had absolutely no plans and no to-do list.  My, oh my...  How refreshing that was!  I took the dogs outside for a little play time and a potty break, and then headed right back into my cozy little bachelorette pad.  I opened the curtains and cracked the windows, grabbed a nice fall drink, lit fall candles, and started making dinner.  My dinner turned out fabulously {recipe coming soon}, and I watched "Love Actually" for the very first time.  {It was....  Okay.  I wasn't super blown away.}  Before I knew it, the clock said 8:00.  I straightened up my kitchen, put away some laundry, watered my mums, picked out an outfit for today, made some Sleepytime Tea with local honey, grabbed my copy of Lysa Terkeurst's Unglued, and crawled into bed where I was asleep a little after 10pm.  It was truly a picturesque little "me" night!  Needless to say,  I could get used to nights like that!
  2. I'm thankful for articles like this.  And how about this video that I ran across yesterday?  It's so easy to take life for granted and to get caught up in our own day-to-day struggles.  Reading or soaking in the truth about others' life experiences can make me feel so selfish sometimes and just really puts things into perspective for me.  It's easy to find ourselves wrapped up in a bad hair day or a long day at work or screaming at traffic.  Then, coming to the realization of what other people in this world are struggling through...  We are blessed beyond belief to simply wake up every day and to get to live this life.  I want to strive to remember that always.
  3. I'm thankful for a life surrounded by uplifting, encouraging people.  Since I announced that I'd accepted a position with a new company, I've been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support and love.  Thank you to each and every one of you who sent a sweet text or email to congratulate me!  Praise be to God for opening doors and presenting me with abundant opportunity.  He is faithful!
  4. I'm thankful for a good laugh!  There's just nothing like it, is there?  I love seeing or making people laugh, and certainly love being able to share in a hearty laugh with the people I most adore.  I'm surrounded by people who always make me laugh and smile!  For that, I'm certainly grateful.
  5. As silly as this may sound, I'm thankful for the ability and the freedom to eat outside!  There's this sweet little spot in Fort Smith called "Yellow Umbrella" - I'm not sure exactly how long they've been in business, but let's just say they're a Fort Smith classic.  The building is just large enough to fit the grill and three employees - one to take orders and two to cook.  It's surrounded by picnic tables where customers can sit and enjoy their lunch, and yesterday was the perfect day for that.  When I realized how gorgeous the weather was at noon time, I pointed by car towards Fort Smith for a burger & fries at Yellow Umbrella.  Although I swore I wouldn't eat in my new car, I grabbed my brown sack of food, rolled down the windows, turned on The Coffee House station on XM, and enjoyed my meal solo. 
  6. Basically, yesterday was a day of alone time, and I couldn't have loved it more.  I'm thankful for the contentment I have with being alone.  I know and love so many people who struggle with the ability to be alone, and it is a battle for them.  People absolutely fascinate me and, if you knew me in real life, you'd know I'm a big people person.  I don't really meet a stranger and I get along with most everyone.  I'm blessed that God gave me a heart that's perfectly happy whether I'm by myself or surrounded by people I love.  I think that's certainly a blessing.  People ask me all of the time how I can stand to live alone at the age of 25, and my answer is simple...  How could I NOT stand to live alone?!  Ha!  I absolutely love living by myself!  I truly and firmly believe that, until you can be happy with just yourself, you will neither be happy with someone else, nor will you be able to make someone else happy.  The ability to be independently happy is one that will serve you well all the days of your life.

What are you thankful for today?!  Happy Thursday, sweet reader friends! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment